Molding a lump of clay

Molding a lump of clay
I am a work in progress, molded by my Maker, refined by His fire, shaped with His love. Walk the journey with me.

Sunday, September 6, 2009

Everything AND the kitchen sink

Usually when we travel as a family, we move with A LOT of luggage. British Airways not only gives us a sizeable missionary discount, but also gives us a luggage allowance of 3 bags per person...that means our family can fly with 15 pieces of check-in luggage (not to mention all the carry-ons)!

Last year when we were coming back from furlough, we had 13 pieces of luggage filled with medicines, toiletries, birthday and Christmas presents, books, music, videos, shoes, clothes, and anything else we felt we needed for the next 3 years before we were due to go back home on furlough again. When you're shopping for 5 people for 3 years, it's easy for the luggage to pile up and up and up. I thought we were doing good because we were under our maximum allowance.

Nevertheless, we needed two vehicles to get us to the airport with all our stuff, and then had to hire a porter with one of those long carts to pile up all our trunks and suitcases on. We really did look like the Beverly Hillbillies, and it was all I could do not to start explaining myself to the passengers lined up for check-in who stood bug-eyed and gape-jawed as we trundled up.

I wanted to say, "You know, we live in Africa in a very small town, and you can't get very much out there, so when we come home we have to stock up on all the things we need for 3 years at a time, so that's why we have so much stuff," blah blah blah. But I just kept quiet and avoided making eye contact with anyone.

When it came our turn to check-in, the porter bravely maneuvered our massive cartful of luggage to the check-in desk, and through the hushed awe of the rest of the people waiting in line, I distinctly heard one man say, "Where's the kitchen sink?"

Well, friend, HERE IT IS!


We picked this and the toilet seats up in Kampala when I came back from visiting my granny.

Oh how I wish we had been travelling with this last furlough, just to round things off, like the proverbial icing on the cake. Nevertheless, we were finally able to travel with everything AND our kitchen sink!

No comments: