Molding a lump of clay

Molding a lump of clay
I am a work in progress, molded by my Maker, refined by His fire, shaped with His love. Walk the journey with me.

Monday, April 28, 2008

Becoming like little children


It's amazing how contented and happy kids can be stomping around in a pile of mud. They get dirty...they don't care! The dirtier the better. No worrying about getting the mudstains out of their clothes, or the dirt out from under their toenails. No worrying what nasty parasites might be lurking in the sludge, just waiting to burrow into their skin and bring some kind of crazy sickness. No fearing that there might be a sharp stone or stick hidden in the mix that will stab their feet. Just worry-free fun, a total abandonment to the moment, no greater concern than enjoying the present.


Recently God has been speaking to me through the well-known verses in Phil. 4: 4-7..."Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything , by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus."
I need that guard over my heart and mind. I'm so good at fretting and plotting how to fix
everything...I can get caught up in the possibles and not dwell in the actuals...it's so easy for me to think I've got the inside track and everyone just needs me to show them!
But all I really want is that child-like peace...I want to play in the mud without a care in the world; I want to sit in the dirt and have tea parties with my friends; I want the joy of the Lord to shine in me.
I catch a glimpse of what Jesus meant when He said, "Unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven." (Matt 18:3) It doesn't mean we become naive, but rather trusting. Not immature, but dependent on His grace. Not childish, but humble.
Dear Father,
Make me into the daughter you created me to be. Help me to find my joy in You...to live in the moment...to trust You with all the cares and worries...to ask You for whatever I need, and trust that You will provide it. Put Your loving guard around my heart and mind, that I might learn to love as You love, to think as You think, and to become more and more like you every day.
Amen

No comments: