Molding a lump of clay

Molding a lump of clay
I am a work in progress, molded by my Maker, refined by His fire, shaped with His love. Walk the journey with me.

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

God is in their midst

Krys (white lady) and Peace (black headscarf) lead a small group discussion



We're into our 3rd week of training on the Alpha Course with the wives of the prison warders at Giligil prison, and I'm struck by several things...


One is that, what I thought was a group of prison warders' wives turns out to be quite different. One of the participants is a prison warder herself, and three others are policewomen! Wow! Can you imagine the impact in the workplaces of these women if they begin to live their lives with Jesus at the center?!

Two, I'm humbled by the meagre resources of these women. I was feeling discouraged because my husband's bike had just been stolen the day before right out of our compound while we were at home! What with the financial crisis and related concerns, we were debating whether or not to spend the money to replace it.

But at the Alpha meeting, one of the ladies in my small group asked us to pray for the people living in the prison staff quarters...apparently the tin roofs are old and cracked, and during storms they can easily be ripped right off the houses. They all leak and rainy season is coming. Suddenly John's stolen bike seemed very trivial.


Cecilia makes tea for the fellowship time.


Cecilia passes around the tea to my small group.













Three
, as a mom, my heart breaks so much more easily for the plight of other children. All of the children of the women in my small group were sick, and one boy threw up twice during the discussion time. It was amazing that the mother stayed to finish the discussion...she just cuddled her son and carried on with the meeting.




It hurt to see all the little kids sick, but what hurt more was watching this little girl playing in the dirt, just grabbing handfuls of soil and letting it run slowly through her fists while the wind whipped it away. I don't have a problem with playing in the dirt...my kids do it all the time. And this little girl was having a great time, but my mind ran to the playroom in our house, loaded with toys my kids hardly ever play with. They choose to play in the dirt, but this sweet little girl doesn't have a choice...she doesn't have a single toy to play with.





Four
, another little girl broke my heart, too...I can't remember her name, but Krys Cassels, the other Western lady in our Alpha team, noticed there was something odd about her. After asking a few questions, she discovered the little girl has cerebral palsy. She's a year old and not even sitting up by herself. Her mother has no idea what to do for her, but thankfully Krys worked with just such children back in Canada, and was able to show the mother various exercises she could do to help the little girl learn to sit, and hopefully eventually stand and possibly even walk.




Finally, one woman's testimony really touched my heart. I won't relate all of it now, but I just ask you to pray for Regina, the woman in the purple top and green head scarf. She is a prison warder and helps dispense the medicines to treat the prisoners. She is also HIV+. She has been on ARVs for the last 3 years, and has seen tremendous improvement in her health, but life is not easy. I'm thankful that she has the peace of Jesus in her heart, and seems serious about following Him.

I look at these women and the challenges they go through and I praise God for their tenacity. I also pray that they will have a living, intimate relationship with Him that will surpass the hardships of this earth, and that the joy of the Lord will be their strength. I know He is with them.

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

Wow Vikki .... what a powerful post. Amazing images and words. My heart breaks for those children. And I think about that all the time ... how much we in western society have and take for granted !! I am going to think on it a bit more .. And I will pray for Regina ...